Dear Unite Summit members:
We have now conducted input meetings at all school sites! This has been an exciting process of hearing the thoughts of different members in our community. We are going to use ideas brought up in these meetings to move on to the next stage in our bargaining preparation.
Bargaining Surveys due Thursday!
Every site has now held their bargaining input meeting, and we are now focused on making sure everyone has completed their bargaining survey. If you have not yet had a chance to fill out the bargaining prep survey, please do so ASAP! We will need all survey responses in by 7pm.
We’d like to have as much data as possible to inform our work together; everyone’s voice is valuable!
You can find the survey at: https://tinyurl.com/y2bkw6ag.
If you weren’t able to attend your site’s meeting but would like to give more input than you were able to give on the bargaining prep survey, contact your site organizers or email email@example.com.
Bargaining Team Structure:
After hearing input from all the school sites, our organizing committee decided to go with a large scale bargaining team, which means we will have a representative from each site (including each middle school) and a representative from Expeditions. This means our bargaining team will have 12 people. The advantage of this structure is that this will allow each team to have a voice, which can lead to us being able to better advocate for our diverse experiences across Summit California schools.
Bargaining Team Elections:
We will be holding bargaining team elections next week so that our bargaining team can get started with preparing proposals as soon as possible — and so that we don’t have to coordinate elections between all of our different spring breaks. Below is the timeline for our elections:
- Thursday, March 21, 7pm: Deadline for nominations. You can nominate yourself or your coworkers by filling out the bargaining survey or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday, March 21, 8pm: Nominees will be notified that they have been nominated.
- Monday, March 25, 6-6:30pm: Zoom video conference for bargaining team nominees. This is a chance for nominees to learn more about the bargaining process and ask questions.
- Tuesday, March 26, 8am: Deadline for nominees to accept their nomination
- Tuesday, March 26, noon: Candidates announced.
- Thursday, March 28: Elections at each school site. Ballots will be counted by 7pm and results will be announced later that evening (after candidates have been notified). Voting times will be announced by the Organizing Committee Member(s) at your school site.
Request: We will need volunteers to run the election at each site and at least two people to count the ballots. Nobody who is a candidate can be involved in running the election or counting ballots.
A letter from Assemblymember Wicks:
California Assemblymember Buffy Wicks from the East Bay has written the following letter in support of our organizing efforts. The full text of the letter is below: